S.M.I.L.E Counselling are here to help young people who are struggling with how they feel.
Our team aim to make a positive influence on on the lives of those who are having problems with, family or school, anxiety, depression, anger or just need to talk to someone, but find it difficult to talk to those closest to them.
We offer a range of counselling services for 11-24 year olds in West Lothian. These services includes face-to-face counselling sessions, one-to-one phone calls, emails and online chat.
Due to unprecedented demand, unfortunately we are unable to offer support at this time.
Please monitor our website social media for updates.
- Samaritans. To talk about anything that is upsetting you, you can contact Samaritans 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can call 116 123 (free from any phone), email email@example.com
- SANEline. If you’re experiencing a mental health problem or supporting someone else, you can call SANEline on 0300 304 7000 (4.30pm–10.30pm every day).
- The Mix. If you’re under 25, you can call The Mix on 0808 808 4994 (Sunday-Friday 2pm–11pm), request support by email using this form on The Mix website or use their crisis text messenger service.
- Papyrus HOPELINEUK. If you’re under 35 and struggling with suicidal feelings, or concerned about a young person who might be struggling, you can call Papyrus HOPELINEUK on 0800 068 4141 (weekdays 10am-10pm, weekends 2pm-10pm and bank holidays 2pm–10pm), email firstname.lastname@example.org or text 07786 209 697.
- Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM). If you identify as male, you can call the Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) on 0800 58 58 58 (5pm–midnight every day) or use their webchat service.
- Nightline. If you’re a student, you can look on the Nightline website to see if your university or college offers a night-time listening service. Nightline phone operators are all students too.
- Switchboard. If you identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, you can call Switchboard on 0300 330 0630 (10am–10pm every day), email email@example.com or use their webchat service
COUNSELLING FOR 11-24 YEAR OLDS
S.M.I.L.E Counselling provide a free counselling service throughout West Lothian to young people aged 11-24 and who are suffering from emotional hurt and pain.
S.M.I.L.E Counselling is a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO) and was set up to deliver the vision of a local practitioner who has worked with 11-24 year olds in various environments and backgrounds for many years.
We provide a unique outreach service in which there is no similar agency in West Lothian. With a head office centrally located in Bathgate and work carried out throughout West Lothian, we feel best placed to support young people where and when they need it.
Our beneficiaries are young people 11-24 who are affected by mental health issues.
The organisation will work with those who are affected by any number of issues which limits them on a daily basis such as: anxiety, depression, addiction, self-harm, suicidal thoughts, anger management, involvement in criminality, social isolation and bereavement.
Our primary goal is to help young people get to a good place in their lives where they feel, Supported, Motivated, Inspired, Leading to self-determination and Empowered to make their own positive choices.
We pride ourselves on being community focused.
As a Social Enterprise we will reinvest any surplus into community organisations working with our client group.
Our standard at S.M.I.L.E Counselling is to provide first contact within 72 hours of initial referral.
Our aim is to see clients as soon as possible. However please note that our current waiting time is approximately 8 weeks of initial referral date to be offered your first session.
Emergency referrals will be taken as and where deemed appropriate by our Clinical Director.
However, if you feel you or your loved one are at immediate risk, we would encourage you to contact your local GP, the NHS out of hours service or present yourself at A&E.